What if my ex does not pay child support?

On Behalf of | Oct 2, 2019 | Child Support |

The divorce is final. The agreement documents child custody and child support arrangements. For you and your children, it is time to move forward with your lives. At first, child support payments come in on time and with the agreed-upon amount. And then suddenly, the payments stop.

The courts will always do what is in the best interest of the child. So, child support is a touchy subject with them. Attorneys, judges and other child support enforcement agencies will help to enforce the child support order and help you get any overdue amounts.

What are the consequences?

Your spouse may have lost his or her job, moved to a different state or just decided to stop paying. Whatever the reason, you are not getting the money the two of you agreed on. And your children do not deserve to suffer because your ex-spouse cannot or will not pay child support. So, what could the ramifications be if your ex-spouse does not pay?

  1. Past-due child support could show up on his or her credit report. If the amount owed is $1,000 or more, the credit agencies receive notification. Your ex’s credit could take a big hit.
  2. The court may order the suspension of any license. This might include the following:
  • Driving
  • Professional
  • Occupational
  • Recreational
  • Sporting
  1. The court could issue an arrest warrant if the noncustodial parent does not appear in court for a child support hearing or does not obey a court order. This could lead to imprisonment.
  2. If he or she is currently applying for a U.S. passport, the government may deny it. The noncustodial parent must currently owe $2,500 or more.

The state of New Jersey has several options in getting past-due child support such as:

  • Seizures of assets
  • Placing judgments or liens on properties
  • Taking any tax refunds
  • Confiscating lottery winnings

You do have options. You can contact an attorney to help you through the process or try and take care of this on your own by filing a request with the court.



Schepisi & McLaughlin, PA BBB Business Review