Bergen County Post-Judgment Modification Lawyer

Significant life changes occur in most every family, now more than ever. If a significant change impacts a person’s schedule, place of residence, income or other area of life following the issuance of child support, child custody or alimony orders, it may be necessary to request a post-judgment modification.

At Schepisi & McLaughlin, P.A., in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, our family law attorneys help clients obtain modifications or argue against changes to an original order.

Changes that may warrant a modification include:

  • Relocation with a child
  • A job promotion or job loss
  • Remarriage
  • Significant changes to a child’s needs due to health issues, extracurricular activities or others
  • Changes to a parent’s health
  • Evidence of a parent’s drug or alcohol abuse or child abuse

If you need a change to child support or another court order, call 201-500-8914 to schedule a phone consultation with the experienced family law lawyers at Schepisi & McLaughlin, P.A. We work with clients throughout Bergen County and all of northern New Jersey.

Committed To Your Cause

Our lawyers will take the time to fully understand your situation and objectives and provide a straightforward assessment of the likelihood it is possible to obtain a post-judgment modification. Parties often reach agreement to modification orders without litigation, but we are always prepared to advocate aggressively for our clients in court if necessary.

We also represent clients who wish to prevent their child’s other parent from relocating. In these cases, the court considers the best interests of the child as well as the impact a move will have on the child’s relationship with the non relocating parent.

Because it can take several months or more to obtain court approval, it is important to initiate a modification request as early as possible.

Even if divorced or separated parties agree to terms regarding modified court orders on their own, it is important to obtain court approval for the changes. If you don’t, a party who originally agrees to changes could change his or her mind and require the other party to adhere to the original court order.