TV star appeals child support ruling

| Jan 22, 2016 | Child Custody |

New Jersey residents may be interested to know that TV star Sherri Shepherd is appealing a ruling that she is financially responsible for a baby born by a surrogate mother. She reportedly paid a fertility agency $100,000 for the surrogacy-born baby that Shepherd and her husband would raise.

However, the marriage ended, and Shepherd filed paperwork in an effort to get her name off of the baby’s birth certificate. That request was ultimately denied. She currently pays $4,100 in child support each month, and that amount will increase to $4,600 a month after the child turns 13. Her former husband has gone on record saying that he disapproves of Shepherd’s behavior and that she has turned her back on her child.

There are many ways in which a parent may be able to obtain child custody rights. For instance, a parent may be named as such on the child’s birth certificate. If a child’s mother and father or any combination of legal parents are married at the time of the child’s birth, they may be granted custody rights if it is in the best interest of that child.

Those who wish to have increased custody rights may wish to talk to an attorney. An attorney may be able to establish that an individual can provide a safe and stable environment for his or her son or daughter. In the event that a parent has had previous issues with drugs or domestic violence, an attorney may be able to help show that an individual has gotten help for or otherwise addressed those issues. This may be enough for an individual to be given visitation rights or joint custody rights with the child’s other parent.



Schepisi & McLaughlin, PA BBB Business Review